Having looked at the techniques applied when attempting to build your online reputation, we cannot ignore the variables that enter the field of play in a time of crisis, such as the world we currently live in.
We must all adapt to the demands of society in such circumstances and being University specific, this means we must have a flexible and proactive approach to how we handle communication with those in and around the education system.
With times like these, comes uncertainty, and with uncertainty comes questions. As a University you must be the first to provide people with the answers they need regarding your sector, otherwise they will find them elsewhere.
The type of questions being asked this year will differ from any prior typical catalogue, so you must be proactive in anticipating the demand and updating your information portals.
A University that provides a potential student with support and details that eases concern is a University that is a step ahead of those not reacting to the current climate.
We highly recommend using AnswerThePublic to analyze search terms via a key phrase such as “US Universities”. This will allow you to identify areas of information you must provide accessibly.
In terms of your tone and demeanor we have identified the following as highly valued by students:
- Affirmation – You must fuel their need to feel kind and support equality. Archaic attitudes will not wash in today’s progressive society. You must keep up to date and involved in promoting the morality of the younger generations
- Ambitions – You must, of course, support their education and career. In uncertain times, students will be concerned about their long term future and you must ensure you support them on their journey to employment
- Wellbeing – Mental health is a hot topic with the pandemic having a large effect on the population in general. You must acknowledge this and show yourself to be a key player in supporting your staff and students through these difficult times and beyond.
- Eco – Conscious. Enable student activism and promote climate concern. This is a matter that is felt strongly by the young generation
- Positive Distraction – Alleviate boredom, push out content that engages and stimulates the mind in dull times. Put on events, gather people together where possible.
- Language – Understand the dialect of today’s students. Be accessible and relatable, but do not lose your authenticity.